Our History


1885

The original funeral home in Weaverville was started by Louis Frederick Timmerman. Timmerman was born in Germany in 1831. The funeral home was, as was common at the time, a combination furniture store and mortuary. The building that housed the business burned down in 1887 and again in 1889. After the second fire Mr. Timmerman did not rebuild but sold the property to S.J. Turner who erected a building which housed the Mint Saloon until prohibition. Mr. Timmerman then bought property known as the Edgecombe Building (Block 9, Lot 32) from John Louis Schall and his wife Magealena . He remained there until 1893 when he and his wife Emilie moved the mortuary business back across the street to their former location. Mr. Timmerman sold the business to C.H. Newel and headed to San Francisco. He died in 1901.


1901

Mr. Newel operated the business until 1912 when it was taken over by the partnership of J.A. Anderlini and Mr. Miller. They moved the business from upper Main Street into what had been the home of Mrs. Mar Guoy. Anderlini and Miller advertised a tin shop, shoe repair shop and mortuary.

1912

J.A. Anderlini left the firm and Frank Miller’s father-in–law C.E. Goodyear became a partner. When Goodyear died in 1922 Miller carried on alone until 1932 when his nephew, Hal Goodyear joined him. Miller died in 1934 and the enterprise split up; Hal Goodyear continued the sheet metal, plumbing and shoe repair portion of the business.


1938

The mortuary was taken over by Mr. McDonald of McDonald Chapel in Redding and Stanford Scott also of Redding. Ernest G. Chapman was their Weaverville representative. The mortuary was moved into the adobe building in 1938. Mr. McDonald bought the property from the Meckel family in 1943.

1955

George Files, who worked for Mr. McDonald at his Redding location and also helped out in Weaverville, bought the mortuary in October of 1955 and changed the name to McDonald-Files Chapel. Mr. Files tore down the wooden building in 1956. The adobe buildings were remodeled in 1960 with an apartment added above. George Files moved the mortuary to the current location on Masonic Lane in 1971. 


1992

Mr. Files retired in 1992 and sold the business to Bill and Cheryl Fischer. Mr. Fischer added the current crematory in 1994. Mr. and Mrs. Fischer owned and operated McDonald-Files Chapel until 2006 when they sold to Stephen Forrest of Redding. Mr. Forrest changed the name to Forrest Funeral Home.

2012

In December 2012 the families of Kevin Stiles and Dan Roberts purchased the business through their corporation Janus Advisor. They changed the name to its current title; Trinity Alps Funeral Home.

We consider it a privilege and an honor to serve the people of Trinity County with the tradition and service that has been customary here since 1885.


AdobeStock_92861888.jpeg

Amy

The following is placeholder text known as “lorem ipsum,” which is scrambled Latin used by designers to mimic real copy. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Donec eget risus diam.

AdobeStock_25766078.jpeg

John

The following is placeholder text known as “lorem ipsum,” which is scrambled Latin used by designers to mimic real copy. Nulla eu pretium massa. Nullam sit amet nisi condimentum erat iaculis auctor.

AdobeStock_86510702.jpeg

Carol

The following is placeholder text known as “lorem ipsum,” which is scrambled Latin used by designers to mimic real copy. Fusce at massa nec sapien auctor gravida in in tellus. Suspendisse nec congue purus.